Physical and Mental Health
The Marietta-Roswell Alumnae Chapter Physical and Mental Health Committee strives to encourage wellness in our sorority and the community. The committee offers a variety of opportunities and events that promote healthy living for our members and people in our service area. The Physical and Mental Health Committee offers a myriad of creative programs designed to proactively raise awareness on major health and wellness concerns that disproportionately impact the minority community. We partner with major organizations that work toward the eradication of diseases and illnesses that affect the human condition.
- Community Health Forum and Couch to 5K (C25K)
The MRAC Community Health Forum has taken on a virtual approach this year. We will have experienced Medical Doctors, Psychologists, PHDs, WW coaches and yoga/fitness instructors sharing information on how you can be a healthier you!
Relay for Life
Each year MRAC chapter members participate as a team in the Cobb County Relay for Life. The MRAC Relay for Life team has raised thousands of dollars for cancer research and support programs. We have held the title of raising the most money as a team. Relay for Life is scheduled for Saturday, May 1st, 2021. Visit our team page where you can find out more about Relay for Life or donate to and/or join our team. https://secure.
acsevents.org/site/ SPageServer?pagename=my_ fundraising&fr_id=98821
Ditch the Cape: Overcoming the Superwoman Syndrome Series Part Two
Are you striving for excellence while managing multiple roles? Are you stretched too thin?
Come to an interactive workshop hosted by the Physical and Mental Health Committee to learn about and determine whether you suffer from Superwoman Syndrome.
Understand capacity and learn to be realistic about it. Leave with action items and resources to help.
REaDy to Run 5K & 1 Mile Run/Walk
MRAC’s Inaugural REaDy to Run 5K & 1 Mile Run/Walk is a family-friendly community run/walk for men, women, and children. Runners, joggers, and walkers enjoy a healthy, fun-filled event while supporting a worthy cause. The USATF-Certified 5K course has many flat sections with a few gentle slopes and serves as a qualifier for AJC Peachtree Road Race. A virtual option is also available. All proceeds benefit SwemKids, a nonprofit school-based program that teaches children introductory swimming lessons and water safety skills. This year, the event will be held Saturday, April 23, 2022 at Town Center at Cobb in Kennesaw, GA.
Upcoming Physical & Mental Health Committee Events
- Saturday, February 19, 2022, 10am to 1pm ET – Mental Health Matters: Myths & Misconceptions. Let’s erase the stigma surrounding mental health. Join us as we discuss the Myths and Misconceptions. This event is free and open to the public.
- Saturday, April 23, 2022 – MRAC’s Inaugural REaDy to Run 5K and 1 mile Run/Walk. One Mile Run/Walk: 7:30am and 5K Run/Walk: 8:00am. Registration is now open. Early bird pricing available through January 22, 2022 at 11:59pm EST. To register, visit https://runsignup.com/race/ga/kennesaw/REaDytorun5k1milerunwalk
Listing of National Health Observances
- February 3 – National Go Red for Women Day
- February 7 – National Black HIV/AIDS Awareness Day
- March 10 – National Women and Girls HIV/AIDS Awareness Day
- April 2 – World Autism Awareness Day
- April 7 – World Health Day
- May 8–14 – Mental Health Awareness Week
- September – National Preparedness Month, Ovarian Cancer Awareness Month
- September 27 – National Women’s Health & Fitness Day
- October – National Breast Cancer Awareness Month
- October 10 – World Mental Health Day
- December 1 – World AIDS Day (*under IAI umbrella)
Did you know that heart disease disproportionally affect African American women? Learn the truth about African American women and heart disease.
CLICK HERE to learn more about heart disease in African-American Women.
Click here to visit Delta Sigma Theta’s National Physical and Mental Health page. For more information about the chapter’s initiatives around this thrust, please contact the committee chair at firstname.lastname@example.org.
*The Marietta-Roswell Alumnae Chapter of Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Inc. does not endorse any of the businesses listed on this website.